The Energy Efficiency Movement – Our Manifesto
It is estimated that by 2050 the global population will have risen to 9.7 billion, up from 7.7 billion in 2019. The global economy is expected to more than double over the same period. Urbanization, automation, and the rise of living standards will significantly increase the demand for energy globally. At the same time, we urgently need to reduce our CO2 emissions to counter climate change.
If we continue with business as usual, this scale of expansion will accelerate climate change, and degrade the quality of air and water upon which all living organisms depend. To protect the environment, we need to redouble our commitment to reducing CO2 in the atmosphere.
In this context, energy efficiency is not an if, it’s a must. It is a simple and impactful solution to a multidimensional challenge. It’s the low-hanging fruit we need to bridge our path to a future where all energy is clean energy. It is a low-hanging fruit because a lot of the solutions, technologies and products needed to improve energy efficiency globally already exist today. We just need to take them into use. Energy efficiency is our ‘first fuel’ for a decarbonized future.
The benefits of greater energy efficiency go well beyond the fight against climate change. They contribute broadly to environmental conservation, cleaner air and water, better public health, energy independence, and stronger economic growth and development.
Improving energy efficiency is simply common sense. While the challenges ahead are substantial, they are not insurmountable. With adequate investment, appropriate legislation and decisive commitment, it is possible over the coming decades to make major progress towards the climate goals of the Paris Agreement, as well as on the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals.
To make the change, we need all stakeholders to work together, to use all the creativity and determination in us. Use the existing solutions available and to continue to innovate for more. We need to invest in areas that help mitigate climate change and we need governments to guide our actions by regulation and incentives.
This is exactly what the Energy Efficiency Movement is all about. Bringing together all stakeholders to innovate and act for a more energy efficient, regenerative, adaptive world. Together, we can make a real difference if that’s how we decide to use our power.
- Academia to research and to provide scientific facts we can base our energy efficiency improvements on.
- Technology companies to provide the most energy efficient technologies and products and to continue to innovate for more.
- Public decision makers and government regulators to incentivize rapid adoption of the most energy efficient solutions and technologies.
- Businesses, cities, and countries to be aware of both the cost savings and environmental advantages and be willing to make the required investment.
- Investors to reallocate capital toward companies better prepared to address the climate risk.
- Others (NGO’s, policymakers, media, individuals) to use, advocate for and amplify energy efficient measures
Together, we – businesses, investors, public decision makers, academia, non-governmental organizations and individuals – can progress and sustain the future of industry and humanity.
Through innovation, sharing knowledge and insights, investments and the right regulations and incentives we can optimize energy efficiency and help the drive towards a decarbonized future for all.
We are moving forward, but with your help we can go much further and faster.